Featured Post

Think Outside The Box - Sarrah blog

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Never under estimate your children.

It was 2018 in school they have distributed a form if children wanted to improve their skills and appear for extra exams. Each child who was willing to participate would clear their exams from school level to state level and appear for the national level. As they cleared each level if they scored really well in the top 50 ranks they would be honored with a trophy and other children would be given a certificate. My children had cleared the school level and state level too, and they were only given an A+ grade certificate. Whereas one girl was honored with a trophy as she had scored 45th rank on the state level from their school. One of my sons Hussain asked me what is the procedure to get the trophy? I as per my knowledge just said that you need to work hard and get really good marks to stand a place in the top 50 ranks to get the trophy, and that was the end of the conversation. 
National level exams were nearing and as a mother, I did my best to prepare my children for the same. For appearing the exam the examination center was approximately 30 km away from my residence. While traveling I insisted that they should revise their work. But they were more interested in enjoying the view on the road from the car window. I had no option but to ask myself to go with the flow. 

We reached the venue. Completed all the required formalities. It was time for the kids to go to their assigned classes. Before my children went, I reminded them I'm waiting down for them, they should be calm and wished them all the best. It was 1-hour paper. My son Hussain who had inquired about how to get a trophy was out of his classroom with me in the next 30 minutes. To be franker, as I saw him getting down the stairs all that I thought was, no problem even if he fails, at least he was among those few kids who appeared for the national level. And my other kids came down after their time was over. As we sat in the car to return back home I was inquiring with my children what all was asked in the questionnaire. They were quite excited to tell me that the exam was very easy for them. But my main concern was, did they appear all the questions or not. I just kept it as a light chit chat with them on the way. 
A few weeks later I received a message from the exam organizers that two of my children have received an A+ grade. There was nowhere Hussain's name mentioned. The first thought that came to my mind was, oh no Hussain has failed and that's why in the message they have not mentioned his name. Few minutes passed and I received another message from the exam organizers mentioning that my Hussain has ranked 4th in the national level examination. I could hardly believe my eyes, I read the message at least 2-3 times to confirm what I was reading was actual or just my imagination.

My happiness had no boundaries that day. Throughout my education life, I had been an average student. For me to get trophy was just a dream, and that dream came true when my son achieved it. At the same time, I felt a little guilty as well. I underestimated him. In my place, any other person might have done the same. My instant action was to grab him, hug him tight, and kiss him. I couldn't control my tears of happiness. 

That was one moment where my son taught me a lesson for my life, that I as a parent should never underestimate my kids what may come. In 2019 my son Hussain earned another trophy on the national level for securing the 5th rank. 

 As parents, we need to be confident about our children, trust them in what they want to do and be. but side by side also be a guide and friend to them, help them if they are stuck somewhere in their life.




2 comments:

  1. Really awesome to hear and really well exposed truth. However at the same time I feel unlike the 90s generation, current generation needs to learn how to accept failure with grace because failure teaches how to handle success.Even the great Abraham Lincoln looked like a failure all his life till he passed the final exam of his life ..US presidency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow mother .amazing lesson for all mother jst calm and wait.let kids explore on there own

    ReplyDelete